The Neon Wilderness

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

So Good
How cool is this site, http://www.community-wealth.org/ is all about people reclaiming their communities through " raising the financial assets of individuals, by increasing the level of “common” assets within a community that are locally owned, and by leveraging the use of funds from institutions that are based in the community (such as city governments and universities) for community-benefiting purposes.” I really like this site, its run by The Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland, the executive director of the Democracy Collaborative is Gar Alperovitz, who's book "America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy" embodies the same principles and ideas as the site and the Democracy Collaborative. Alot of people think we should wait for the government to act to make things better for us, but honestly. I am sick of waiting, this country is going in the wrong direction, the idea of http://www.community-wealth.org/ is that instead of sitting around waiting and hoping things will get better, we as individuals and as communities should start taking matters into our own hands, all to often we forget that in a democracy it is we the people who have the power, its time we started using it.
SEE ALSO
America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
By Gar Alperovitz
I picked this book up at Borders by chance awhile back, I never got around to reading it until recently, but when I did, wow, I was blown away, I had never heard of Gar Alperovitz but as soon as I finished his book I looked up everything I could about him online, which is how I first found the above website, his book is like a quiet call to arms, its full of great info and real ideas about how to change things to create a more just and equitable America.

No comments: